My World

Sunday, August 22, 2010

Pak Bung Fai Daeng

Photobucket


An essential dish, both in home style cooking and at restaurants. Pak Bung (in English : Water Spinach or Water Morning Glory, in Bahasa Indonesia : Kangkung) is a very common vegetable in Thailand, as well as other South East Asian countries.

It is very easy to make at home, in Indonesia the leaves are usually stir fried with chili and garlic, my Mom in Bali will add terasi bakar / belacan, virgin coconut oil and jeruk limo with the previous 2 (the concoction called bumbu plecing), it is my childhood favorite. But in Thailand I am crazy over Pak Bung Fai Daeng, it is stir-fried with oyster sauce or soybean paste, garlic and chillies. To cook something “Fai Daeng” in Thai means over a really hot fire. The result is an absolute delish, the first item in my food order whenever we are eating out in any Thai Restaurant, just loved it !!!

No comments: